- We're all the same
The BOTTOM LINE in all deceptions: someone
wants you to believe an untruth for THEIR benefit (usually $$) at
YOUR cost ($$, time, or health).
Examples of common deceptions:
- low-alcohol beer is "safe", safe for recovering alcoholics, safe
for teenagers, etc.
- "one or 2 drinks a day is GOOD for your health"
- smoking is cool/sophisticated
- "you deserve a break today"
- I can drink (eat, smoke, gamble, etc) in moderation even
though I personally recognize signs of addiction or potential addiction.